I read a cool article about Berlin researchers developed a car you can drive with your mind. They used new and improved EEG brain wave sensors and training software to distinguish between brainwaves for "accelerate", "brake", "turn left", and "turn right". They hooked the device directly to the car control system and the test subject was successfully able to navigate a course using thought alone.
They also did a second experiment which I think is even cooler. They used a hybrid autonomous/mind-control vehicle that drove most of the way on its own and only used mind-inputs to determine which way to turn at an intersection. This is like having your own chauffeur drive you around where ever you want to go. You just occasionally give instructions and he handles all the details of the actual driving. I could see this as a viable stepping stone between human-controlled vehicles and completely autonomous vehicles, assuming of course that we don't need to wear ugly helmets to properly read brain signals.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110218083711.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment