Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh are performing experiments with brain-computer interfaces. There have already been multiple studies of monkeys controlling a robotic arm by thought and some experiments on human epilepsy patients who already had the motor areas of the brain exposed, thus allowing the temporary implantation of a brain-computer interface that let the patients move a mouse cursor and play games by thought alone.
The exciting part of the current research is that the scientists are ready to start testing brain-computer interfaces on people who actually need them. They will soon begin testing the devices in conjunction with robotic prosthetic limbs on paralyzed patients.
This technology, if it gets off the ground, can make so many Hollywood movies come to life. We could have Avatars or Surrogates that we control from a distance. We could have robotic hands like Anakin Skywalker or Will Smith in I, Robot. We could have fully roboticized exoskeletons like Iron Man. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll live to see any of these actually happen and I think I have a pretty good chance.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110217124913.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment